The Touro Law Center Clinical Program is hiring two full-time Staff Attorneys. These attorneys will be helping vulnerable Superstorm Sandy-affected households on Long Island, while working to promote a fair and sustainable recovery.
One position is with the Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic and will involve advocacy for households at risk of foreclosure because of Sandy-related losses or displacement. The other is with the Disaster Relief Clinic and will involve federal flood insurance litigation and related advocacy.
The application deadline has been extended beyond what is stated in these announcements. Applications are due by 2:30 p.m. ET on Friday, March 14 by email to Dean Linda Baurle.
Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center Staff Attorney (full-time), Disaster Relief Clinic:
Touro Law Center has an immediate opening for one full-time Staff Attorney in its Disaster Relief Clinic. The position is grant-funded for a fixed-term starting on or before March 3, 2014. The position is for a fixed-term ending September 30, 2015.
The Disaster Relief Clinic advocates for and represents vulnerable populations affected by Superstorm Sandy, primarily with issues involving flood insurance, including litigation. The clinic also holds weekly walk-in clinics at locations in Suffolk and NassauCounties for Sandyaffected households.
The Staff Attorney will be responsible for representing clinic clients and working at the walk-in clinics, and will report to the Director of the Disaster Relief Clinic.
- Teaching and supervising law students working in the clinic;
- Maintaining reporting and statistical data;
- Performing legal research and advising Sandy-affected households;
- Providing legal representation in all stages of discovery and litigation;
- Travel by car as necessary to walk-in clinics and to visit other nonprofits and clients.
Minimum qualifications include a JD or LLM from an ABA-accredited law school, admission to the NYS Bar in good standing, and at least six years’ experience in litigation. The ideal candidate will have experience with administrative law and insurance-related disputes, or in assisting vulnerable populations. S/he will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and will possess a demonstrated capacity for high-quality work product and professional judgment.
Submission guidelines: Please send a cover letter, CV or resume, recent writing sample, and contact information for three references by email to Dean Linda Baurle.
The subject line of your email should read “Full-Time Staff Attorney for Disaster Relief Clinic.”
Staff Attorney for Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic:
Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center is pleased to announce the opening for a fulltime staff attorney for its Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic. The Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic represents primarily low and moderate income clients who either face the threat of foreclosure or are defendants in a pending foreclosure action. Students handle all phases of representation, including the initial intake, drafting of documents, negotiation and court appearances. The staff attorney will report to the Director of the Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic. The primary duty of the staff attorney will be to assist individuals affected by Superstorm Sandy who are now facing foreclosure. The staff attorney may supervise clinic students and appear in court with the students. The staff attorney is expected to model a high level of ethical conduct and professionalism to clients, the courts and adversaries. For further information on Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center, please click here.
Funding for this position has been provided by the New York State Social Services Block Grant (SSBG) for Hurricane Sandy through September 30, 2015. Continued employment beyond September 30, 2015 is dependent on the receipt of additional funding.
The staff attorney will assist the Director of the Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic, and students enrolled in the Clinic in providing representation in foreclosure proceedings, foreclosure counseling and other legal assistance for Long Islanders affected by Superstorm Sandy.
- Counsel clients, specifically those affected by Superstorm Sandy, facing the threat of foreclosure;
- Prepare applications for mortgage modifications;
- Represent clients, specifically those affected by Superstorm Sandy, appearing in court for Mandatory Settlement Conferences;
- Defend clients in foreclosure actions;
- Litigation – including drafting of pleadings, conducting discovery, motion practice;
- Bring affirmative litigation on behalf of Superstorm Sandy victims;
- Supervise students in all of the above activities;
- Prepare reports for funding sources;
- Conduct community outreach;
- Collaborate with Touro’s Disaster Relief Clinic;
- May be assigned other related tasks.
Education, Preparation, and Training:
- J. D. degree from an ABA Accredited Law School;
- Admission to the New York State Bar;
- Minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience in mortgage foreclosure matters.
- Ability to produce high quality written material, meet tight deadlines, and work independently, as well as part of a team;
- Highly effective communication skills;
- Interest in clinical legal education and ability to supervise students.
- Working knowledge of Spanish is preferred;
- Housing counseling and/or foreclosure defense experience is preferred;
- Litigation experience a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
- Ability to travel to courts throughout Long Island – valid NYS driver’s license.
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, life and disability insurance benefits.
Send a cover letter and resume to Dean Linda Baurle, Assistant Dean for Budget and Planning. The subject line of your email should read: SSBG Staff Attorney for Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic.