Yahoo! Business & Human Rights Program Internship 2012
Think about impacting 1 out of every 2 people online—in innovative and imaginative ways that are uniquely Yahoo! The Yahoo! Business & Human Rights Program Yahoo! is built on the principles of open access to information and user trust which fundamentally improves lives and advances human rights around the world.
The Business & Human Rights Program (BHRP) at Yahoo! was officially launched in May of 2008 to help integrate human rights decision-making into business operations. Yahoo! is determined to lead when it comes to protecting the privacy of almost half a billion users around the world, and to promoting free expression on the Internet.
The BHRP is looking for a passionate, brilliant, hard-working intern, who plays well with others and is still idealistic enough to believe that s/he can change the world. This position will report to the Director of the BHRP, and will work with a cross-functional team (including legal, security, public affairs, product, government affairs and emerging markets) to build and support key components of the Program.
Key responsibilities include:
- Conduct research and write background reports for regional Human Rights Impact Assessments (HRIA)
- Source, develop and edit content about the intersection of human rights and technology for the BHRP website
- Assist with the planning and execution of the third annual BHRP Business & Human Rights Summit
- Assist with the planning and preparation of Change your World: Sao Paulo 2012
- Assist with the preparation and planning of internal and external events related to the BHRP
- Assist with the preparation of employee human rights trainings for international, senior audiences
- Organize and collate all documents produced by the BHRP
- Find and recruit your successor
The Internship period is approximately 10 weeks, with a March start date and consists of 16 hours per week, paid. The position is in Miami, FL (there is no relocation available for this position).
Essential Job Qualifications:
- BS/BA degree required
- Graduate degree (JD, or MA in related field) in progress required
- Proficiency with MS PowerPoint, Word, Excel
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and to work independently
- Superior organizational skills
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- International work or study experience
- Superior research, writing and presentation skills (writing samples will be required)
- Past work or study experience in issues related to human rights, social media and/or free expression
- Impeccable integrity, passion for human rights, sound judgment, creativity and the demonstrated ability to think critically and challenge received wisdom
Application Deadline: February 20, 2012.
To apply, please submit a thoughtful cover letter and your CV to Yahoo. In addition, please send your materials to Gretchen Bellamy, Director of International Public Interest Programs. You do not need to send a cover letter directed to her – only a copy of what you sent to Yahoo!
No phone calls, please.